Help for OLD-IRISH-L Archives

OLD-IRISH-L Archives

Subject: Re: Immacallam 67
From: Alexis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 16 Jul 2002 10:19:48 +0200

> De : David Stifter <[log in to unmask]>
> Objet : Re: Immacallam 67
>
> I am not sure what the reference to the female name Sadb would mean in § 118,
> so I think that this gloss is
> misleading. Or does anybody know about the connection of a woman Sadb with
> poetry or the like?

Here are some references about Sadb taken from Ó hÓGÁIN, Dáithí, (1990),
"Myth, legend and romance, an encyclopedia of the Irish folk tradition",
London, Ryan Pub., 1990, 453p.
p20 : She is supposed to be the daughter of Conn Céadchathach (and sister of
Art), and the wife of Aillil Ólom. According to Ó hÓGÁIN, this is "a
synchronizer's trick, in order to portray as at friendship the great rival
dynasties of the Connachta at Tara and the Eoghanacht in Munster."
p279 : the same Sadb is also portrayed as the foster-mother of Lughaidh mac
Con.

p199 : there is a reference to another Sadb, who is supposed to have fooled
Feidhlimidh mac Criomhthainn and his poets. She is the daughter of a
satirist called Gul, was very clever, and was a kind of poetess (Ó hÓGÁIN
gives also a summary of this story). Here is the connection with poetry it
seems.

Amicalement,
Alexis.