Help for IRTRAD-L Archives

IRTRAD-L Archives

Subject: Re: Smut spam against IRTRAD-L
From: Jerome Colburn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 14 Jul 2002 02:39:36 -0500

At 08:23 PM 7/13/02 -0700, Larry Sanger wrote, re the smut spam attack
against IRTRAD reported to the list owner by fiddler:

>On Sun, 14 Jul 2002, Automatic digest processor wrote:
> > Subject: Keep porn free...
> > To: [log in to unmask]
>
>Actually, it looks like the spammer forged the reply-to address (above) as
>that of irtrad-l itself, so that any rejection notice (and this was a
>rejection notice) would be posted to the list instead of back to the
>spammer.  If that's right, it's a sneaky back door trick I've never seen
>before.

They might not have known they were sending to a list. The spammers seem to
have gained access to the SMTP server at irlearn.ucd.ie domain somehow:

>  Date: Sat, 13 Jul 2002 09:23:32 -0500

But those by whose agency the spammers forged their From address say this:

>This
> > email was sent to you via Saf-E Mail Systems.&nbsp; Your email address
> > was automatically inserted into the To and From addresses to eliminate
> > undeliverables which waste bandwidth and cause internet congestion.

How long must the Gael endure such gall?

They have a P.O. box, at least, in Costa Rica.

I wonder whether Listserv can be configured not to send bounce messages to
certain addresses, to wit, its own? Failing that, it can probably be
configured not to send bounce messages at all, as is the case with many
ISPs nowadays.

*  Jerome Colburn   (;-{=''',,,=    *