Help for GAIDHLIG-B Archives

GAIDHLIG-B Archives

Re: Accents

Aonghus MacFhionghuin <[log in to unmask]>

Aonghus MacFhionghuin <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 29 Jul 2002 23:55:23 +0100

A Chairdean,

A small hint for those struggling to type Gaelic accents from a UK
English keyboard (not the same as a US English one). Under most of the
newer versions of Windows the software can be told you have an Irish
keyboard. This is the same as a UK English one except that the accents
work. Strangely it's the grave which is made easy rather than the
acute. So `a turns into and ctrl-alt-' a turns into , without having
to resort to strange codes. Windows XP even has a Gaelic keyboard, but
I haven't managed to work out whether that is any different from an
Irish one.

Look for "keyboard" on the "Control panel".

Le Drachd,

Aonghus MacFhionghuin