Help for ALGAE-L Archives

ALGAE-L Archives

Subject: Re: algae blooms and fish farms
From: David Menne <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 3 Jul 2002 04:11:15 +0800

So you are not interested in the studies of the positive effects of fish
farms on kelp ?

I have found that one can usually find SOME data appearing to support any
preconceptions; while the truth is swept under the table.

An example which springs to mind is the improved survival and growth rates
of adult salmon in the presence of around 100 ppb cyanide [Doudoroff].

More examples of benefit, relating to ultratrace levels [generally sub-100
ppb] of normally toxic metals might be found; albeit for other plant and
animal species on :

9.3 The true value of a comprehensive range of trace elements

Think of the astounding results achieved by applying fish metabolytes on
terrestrial phyto-productivity.

Then think again if your preconceived quest for knowledge is not merely
going to conceal it from you [another Janusian Paradigm].

You can always add too much [or too little] of everything; but the right
proportions of fish ploep etc could be very beneficial for phytobenthics.