Help for OLD-IRISH-L Archives

OLD-IRISH-L Archives

Subject: Re: a short legal story
From: Dennis King <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 27 Jun 2002 10:05:14 -0700

Francine Nicholson wrote:

>> pleader: aigne
>
> Other synonyms you might consider for aigne would be legal advocate or
> barrister-equivalent. I don't think "pleader" alone conveys the status
> of
> the term.

If you look up "aigne" in the glossary, what
you get back is:

advocate  aigne n.
lawyer    aigne n.
pleader   aigne n.

In Dúil Bélrai is properly termed a glossary,
not a dictionary, because of all the information
is does not provide (gender, usage examples, etc.)
One way to partially remedy this dearth is to
look up words you find in the opposite direction.
Or then look them up in DIL, LEIA, the glossaries
to Fergus Kelly's books, etc.  :-)

Dennis