UILLEANN Archives

UILLEANN@LISTSERV.HEANET.IE

UILLEANN Home

UILLEANN  May 2002

UILLEANN May 2002

Re: Dennis Quigley

"Dr. Lewis Blevins" <[log in to unmask]>

Dr. Lewis Blevins

Fri, 17 May 2002 17:52:57 -0500

Hey Misters and Missuses, (that was really funny, I haven't been called
mister, either respectfully or disrespectfully, in a long long time) I
propose that there is a reason that Koehler and Quinn and others like them
are doing it the way they do with regards to the stabilization and continued
use of hardwoods and other parts.  They are simply attempting to give the
discriminating player and listener the closest thing to the long lost holy
grails of piping...the instruments crafted by the makers that you mention.
It works.  Similar analogies exist for nearly every musical instrument.
Think of the Strad violin.  Was it the seasoning of the wood, the resins in
the varnish, the relative softness of the varnish on his instruments, the
physiology of the trees prior to the pollution of the industrial revolution
that led to wood of a different character?  Who knows...but despite the
modern techonological advances and the ability to craft abrasive "lord of
the dance"-styled electronic violins, most luthiers with any self-respect
still attempt to achieve the very best and get it as close as they can come
to a Strad or other great instrument.  They may use tools that afford
considerable savings in time, but they still strive to copy instruments that
are several centuries of age old.  The same is true of keyboarded
instruments.  Makers of pianos that are digital have come close but are not
there as of yet.  Discriminating players and listeners still seem to prefer
the harpsichord or piano that is well-crafted according to a great design
and in keeping with a planform that has existed for centuries.  Hawkers of
the $199 electronic keyboards (my wife has one and its despicable), and
other similar cheapo imitations of real instruments designed to play out of
the box without any real maintenance, are indeed fulfilling a stated
consumer need (easy, cheap, reliable, quick to obtain)......but I don't see
them as providing any real advances in the science of development and
evolution or musicality of the instruments.   There is no doubt they are
extending an opportunity to learn and play music to some who may not
otherwise be able to do so...and for that I'm grateful.    Gosh...I just had
a flashback to the flutaphone of third grade.   Remember those cheap plastic
things?    Maybe if I'd paid attention then I'd be a  better musician today.
Right?

Mister Doctor Lewis B