Help for GAIDHLIG-B Archives

GAIDHLIG-B Archives

Subject: Re: ceist agam
From:Steafan Risnidh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 20 May 2002 04:50:27 +0100

 The correct spelling should be "Mac an Toisich"
> (since "Toiseach" is in the
> genitive case, it needs to be slenderized).

Cho fad is a tha sinn a'toir tarraing air
ainmean-sloinnidh, de th'ann an t-ainm "MacIlleChiar"
anns a'Bheurla?

While we are talking about surnames, what's the
anglicised form of MacIlleChiar?

> As an aside, "toiseach" ("chieftain") also refers to
> the current prime
> minister of Ireland, Bertie Ahern, who is known as
> "An Taoiseach" in Irish.
> The pronunciation is slightly different in Irish,
> i.e. "TEE-shuch".
>
> Gobnait

> Distant Oaks
> Celtic & Early Music
> http://www.distantoaks.com

=====
Le drachd, Steafan Risnidh.

Ge milis a'mhil, c dh'imlicheadh o bhrr dris i?
"Though honey is sweet, who would lick it off a briar?"
Ged a chual' iad an cel, cha do thuig iad am port.
"Although they heard the music, they didn't understand the tune."