Subject: Re: Converting Truetype fonts to Palm fonts
From: "Glaun, Michael" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 10 Apr 2002 14:28:54 +0200

Hi Toby,

I am familiar with the Handy Pilot Font Editor (FE) application that runs on
the Palm itself - only problem is that it can import a font in the Palm
format only for editing ... doesnt help me 'coz I'm looking for a PC-based
solution that will convert the Truetype font to the Palm format. Also, the
application is great for "tweaking" a font on the Palm itself once the first
draft has been created - the Palm being as small as it is, would be an
eye-breaker for generating the first draft.

I have exchanged emails with the author of Handy Pilot Font Editor (FE), but
didn't get much help from him. )-; I also checked the links on his page, but
to no avail.

There is another PC-based application called Pilot Font Editor (not to be
confused with HPFE above), which creates Palm fonts from scratch or allows
one to get existing fonts from the Palm (see
http://www.sergem.net/fontedit/index.html) ... but still, how do I get my
TTFs to the Palm font in the first place.

Another PC application called xFont (http://www.users.cg.yu/montesoft/)
allows one to import a TTF into the application for editing, but the
generated font is in Palm format which needs resource compilers (like PilRC)
to create the actual Palm format (PDB) that can be loaded to a Palm device.
It sounds complicated and I'm not a programmer so this rules out this
option.

Michael