Subject: Re: Zapf's Palatino inspired by Florence lettering?
From: Richard Weltz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 20 Apr 2002 10:24:43 EDT

In a message dated 4/20/2002 1:22:58 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

> This is fun stuff. Quess I have to really question the begin dates and the
> end dates on most of these. I sure would like to see the refs on the 1439
> and 1976 dates.

Letterpress printing from raised surfaces (e.g. wood-carved blocks) easily
predates 1439. However, letterpress printing from cast movable metal type
characters began about mid-15th century in Korea, where that kind of type was
invented about 40 years or so before Gutenberg opened up shop in Europe.

As for a closing date, there really is none so long as a few shops operate;
but they are few and far between, so it could be considered as no longer
being even close to a mainstream technology.

-- Dick