Help for ALGAE-L Archives

ALGAE-L Archives

Subject: 'Starving' seaweed in Nova Scotia?
From: Debbie MacKenzie <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 26 Apr 2002 11:31:54 -0300

Dear Algae-List members,

I am not a biololgist but for several years have been following a strong
hunch that generalized nutrient depletion has become an important issue in
the ocean. Beyond widespread poor growth and smaller sizes in fish, changes
in unexploited intertidal organisms seem also to reflect a general decline
in the availability of nutrients in 'clean' well-mixed oceanic water. (Yes,
I do realize that my line of thinking is directly contrary to the
norm...but concrete findings need explanations...)

Changes that I've noted in common brown seaweeds in Nova Scotia, Atlantic
Canada, seem to support the hypothesis. Specifically, Ascophyllum nodosum
and Fucus species are showing marked unusual deterioration. My recent
photos and article describing the pattern are posted at:
<http://www.fisherycrisis.com/seaweed4.html>

I would very much appreciate your comments on the condition of these
seaweeds and on my interpretation of the pathology. Thank you.

Sincerely,
Debbie MacKenzie

please contact Mike Guiry. More information and an archive of messages since
1995 can be found at http://www.seaweed.ie/algae-l/default.html