Subject: The problem with buzzwords
From: Michael Brady <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 27 Feb 2002 11:24:50 -0500

>   The problem with buzzwords is that some people are just saying the
>   buzzword while others are actually saying something. It is dangerous
>   to always assume the former.

I think you're sending a message with that message, aren't you. There are no
heroes anymore--except firefighters and police and paramedics--but there are a
lot of role models, except for Charles Barkley. And all impediments are glass
ceilings. And everything bad is caused by a behaviorism.

Branding goes back centuries. It's been the hallmark of commercial business
identification. And logos are little more than cryptograms, the alpha and omega
fatty acids of redirected meanings. The tetragrammaton developed into acronyms
and logotypes!

I have to say, when the term 'branding' became popular a few years ago, I just
could not avoid the image of the designer in flannel shirt and blue jeans
grabbing the client's CEO by the arm and leg, throwing him to the dirt, and
cauterizing his butt with a branding iron he downloaded from the blacksmith's
shop.

Michael Brady
[log in to unmask]   http://www.unc.edu/~jbrady/index.html