Subject: Re: The Royal Tenenbaums
From: Stephen Coles <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 15 Jan 2002 02:46:31 -0700

>>> on 1/13/02 8:03 PM, Gary Munch at [log in to unmask] wrote:
>>> Some settings of Futura; not tooo farfetched that these might be
>>> environmental, preexisting. But wait, this is Altman, no?

>> At 11:56 AM 1/14/02 -0800, Mike D wrote:
>> No.
>> The director of "The Royal Tenenbaums" is Wes Anderson ("Bottle Rocket,"
>> "Rushmore"). Robert Altman's latest is "Gosford Park."

> On 1/14/02 8:16 PM, leslie harpold wrote:
> I can't place the face specifically either, it's the same face used
> throughout Rushmore as well. It's not Futura, it has some letters that
> strongly match Kabel, and hints of Avenir here and there. I'm starting ot
> think it's custom, the closest to an exact match is that used on Mexican
> Loteria (mexican bingo) cards. Anyway, I'd love it if it could be
> positively ID'ed some way as well.

I'm glad Brett mentioned this work of glory.  From
the music to the art direction. This film is a fine
example of subtle, yet palpable style. I'm stumped
on the type too, but it's not far from the following:

Drescher Grotesk...
http://www.myfonts.com/FontFamily20733.html

FF Super Grotesk...
http://www.fontfont.de/packages/superg11133/superg11133.html

but mostly the lovely Twentieth Century*...
http://sitemaint.digitalriver.com/dr/qa1/ec_MAIN.Entry10?V1=205393&PN=1&SP=1
0023&xid=23597&DSP=&CUR=840&PGRP=0&CACHE_ID=0

*  A ranting aside:  AgfaMonotype was kind enough
to offer this mammoth link. I weep whenever I am
reminded that arguably the best collection of digital
type is viewable exclusively at Agfa's horrid website.

Stephen