Help for GAELG Archives

GAELG Archives

Subject: Re: Euro
From: R Bell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 22 Jan 2002 12:34:37 +0000

On Thu, 17 Jan 2002 23:10:40 -0000, X X <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>On 17 Jan 2002, at 20:49, Michael Everson wrote:
>
>> An bhfuil é seo ceart?
>>
>> euro f
>> yn euro
>>
>> euroghyn pl.
>> ny euroghyn
>>
>> Agus cad faoin cheint?
>> --
>
>Cha nel mee mie ynsit ayns cooishyn myr shoh, agh er lhiam nagh
>neemayd ymmyd jeh jerrey-ockle "o" ny "ó"
>
>Foddee dy yarraghmayd "yoorey" ny "yooraa" (iúra ny iúrá) Bee fys
>share ec sleih elley. Dy jinnaghmayd ee y screeu myr "eu", veagh
>eh focklit magh myr "ow" gollrish yn Vaarle "cow".

I think not... and here's why...
The policy of the EU has to try to have a consistent name in all the major
European languages (rather than having it spelt ten different ways- if
you've seen Indian banknotes you'll see what that's like!)... the Greeks
have the concession of having it in their alphabet)... so here in Germany
where I am now the name is "Euro" but pronounced "Oyroh".
So to spell it this way in Deutsch not only goes against what I think
they're trying to do, but uses English phonetics...