Subject: Re: Conflicting element declarations in internal and externalDTDs
From: Michael Beddow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 2 Dec 2001 09:05:25 -0000

On Saturday, December 01, 2001 5:18 PM
Ronald Bourret wrote:

> > [Ingo M] I get an error message "Element XYZ already defined".
> By design. You're not allowed to redefine element types. See section
> of the XML spec.

But if that reading of the spec is correct, the XML version of the TEI
is in big trouble. Its mechanism for extending/modifying the DTD in a
way that retains interchangeability across TEI projects depends on the
ability of the internal subset to override the external DTD (It was the
attempt to do that which led to Ingo's original query: emacs-psgml
allows it to happen, XML Spy objects.

Michael Beddow
XML and the Humanities page:
The Anglo-Norman Dictionary