OLD-IRISH-L Archives

OLD-IRISH-L@LISTSERV.HEANET.IE

OLD-IRISH-L Home

OLD-IRISH-L  December 2001

OLD-IRISH-L December 2001

Re: Untranslated/edited Irish MSS

"Petra A. Tremblay" <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 12 Dec 2001 14:00:32 -0800

Okay, so I'm by no means the scholar that many on this
list are (yet)... But I have to comment on this whole
discussion..

So far.. everyone is right.. Things are published in
ENGLISH that shouldn't have seen print, never mind any
other language.. And in all honesty, as pop as Harry
Potter is, I would FAR prefer that my (eventual)
children read J.K. Rowling than... I don't know.. It's
been a while since I read children's books
regularly... But some of the trite nonsense that has
been written for kids in the last fifteen years.

To my point though.. I studied at UCC for a year in
college, and had some interesting discussions with a
flatmate from Tralee while I was there.. Her mother
teaches Irish at a secondary school, and she was
lamenting (at 19) that she barely remembered any of
the Irish she'd learned while there. BUT, part of the
reason why she hadn't held onto her Irish is that
nothing that was published or broadcast appealed to
her.   TnaG (in her opinion) was for old people, and
the books that were published were "boring" history or
local fiction.. She wanted to read Ayn Rand, or Sylvia
Plath or similar angst ridden type work... The point
of this diatribe being.. Those of on this list who
read Irish (unfortunately I cannot count myself among
those numbers, I'm struggling enough with Old Irish,
I'll do the modern stuff later!) are the academics,
who would be absolutely fascinated by the manuscripts
being worked into modern Irish...

Your AVERAGE Irish young-adult (which is the group
that will save or destroy the use of Irish) is not as
fascinated by those manuscripts.. They want to be a
part of the global culture that (seems?) to be
evolving, while still holding strong to their Irish
roots... And one way to do that is through "trite pop
nonsense" in Irish.. The other option is to change how
every single parent in the world raises their children
so that history & intellectual prowess becomes more
important than popularity and physical....

I understand where Marion is coming from, but she has
to understand where people like my flatmate were
coming from, they want to hold onto their Irish
culture, but... They still want to see themselves as
(God I can't believe I'm about to use this word on one
of my first postings to this list... BUT) _cool_.  So
you can't ask to not publish bad things in Irish too,
or else you automatically loose a large portion of the
population on the way.

Just my two cents.. I hope no one feels like as a
non-Irish speaker I have no right to jump in here, but
I felt like I had to say something!!!

 Petra

ps: to be honest - I am a HUGE raving Harry Potter
fan.. I saw the movie opening night, I've read the
entire series five times & am waiting on pins &
needles for book 5...

having said that, I also have the UCC translations of
the Annals of Ulster & Inisfallen on my e-book reader
- constantly available for me, and some of my most
prized books are the Grammar of Old Irish by
Thurneysen and my collection of work by Leask....

so one can love both the "trite pop nonsense" and
still be passionate about the more serious matter
available. :)

=====