Help for GAIDHLIG-B Archives

GAIDHLIG-B Archives

Re: Death of Last Native Speaker in Ontario

Liam Cassidy <[log in to unmask]>

Liam Cassidy <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 6 Dec 2001 23:54:45 -0500

A point to consider is that there is no place in Ontario (to my admittedly
limited knowledge) where Gaelic is a community language, in the sense that a
community exists where Gaelic is or until recently was the first language of
many people, such as Alec McDonald. Gaelic still is a community language in
that sense in Cape Breton, though the Gaelic community is small.

Alec McDonald's death is a stark reminder of the fragility of Gaelic, both
in Scotland and North America. Yet I would hope that his obvious love for
his language will continue to encourage others to learn it, speak it and
keep it alive.

liam