Help for GAIDHLIG-B Archives

GAIDHLIG-B Archives

Subject: Re: Toast or blessing for Burns Supper
From: Tom Thomson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 6 Dec 2001 14:10:47 -0000

No, parse that phrase "Bean no duine ar do mhian agad" as
( (Bean no duine) ar do mhiann) agad.  It should then be
obvious what it means, but in case it isn't obvious:
May you have a spouse who delights you.

M.

PS: mixture of Scots and Irish?  I suppose the spellings
"saol" , "gan" and "ar" are Irish, and the spelling "agad"
is Scots; but everything else is OK in both languages
(although "mian" is rather an archaic spelling in Scots).
And it's only the spellings that aren't OK in both languages,
all the words are common to both (assuming that first word
is "slan" and not "sla/n").