Help for ALGAE-L Archives

ALGAE-L Archives

Subject: cryopreservation of algae and cyanobacteria
From: Judy Acreman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 6 Dec 2001 13:54:54 EST

Hello everyone,
Wishing you all the best of the season and for the New Year coming.
I  hope it will be a safe, happy and healthy one for all of you.

I am very interested in the topic of cryopreservation and would like
to open a discussion to learn more about this topic. One reason is
that the University of Toronto Culture Collection is moving in the
direction of cryopreserving as many as possible of the 400+ isolates
of algae and cyanobacteria in culture here. We are considering using liquid
N2and/ or a -152 C freezer for most of the cultures.

As we also have to purchase a -86 C freezer in order to perform the 2-step cooling
required for the work, I am wondering if  this freezer could also be
utilized for long-term preservation of some of the cyanobacteria Do any of you
have experience with successful preservation of cyanobacteria or
algae at -86 C? If so, what were your methods and for how long were
the cells viable in storage?

I look forward to your comments and ideas.

All the best,

Judy Acreman

Curator,
University of Toronto Culture Collection of Algae and Cyanobacteria
Department of Botany
University of Toronto,
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
M5S 3B2

TEL: +1 416 978 3641
FAX: +1 416 978 5878
http://www.botany.utoronto.ca/utcc

please contact Mike Guiry. More information and an archive of messages since
1995 can be found at http://www.seaweed.ie/algae-l/default.html