Help for ALGAE-L Archives

ALGAE-L Archives

Subject: Scientific ecotourist advice for sites in the tropical Pacific
From: "Nelson, Tim (Faculty)" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 6 Nov 2001 20:05:30 -0800

I apologize if this is an inappropriate use of this list:

I have taught a senior-level undergraduate Tropical Marine Biology course
over my university's winter break for the past 10 years.  We've alternated
between sites in Belize, Hawaii, and the Galapagos Islands.  I'm interested
in teaching the course in a Pacific site more "exotic" than Hawaii for
students from the United States.  I'd specifically considered Tahiti, Fiji,
Australia, Truk, and Palau, but I'm open to any sites with decent coral
formation and, of course, diverse macroalgal communities!

I'm looking for advice from scientists with any knowledge of camps or
dormitory-style accommodations in the tropical Pacific that might be
appropriate for hosting a group of college students.  In other words, I'm
looking for places that are less expensive than hotels and, ideally, with
good access to field sites.  The more remote the site, the better.

Can any of you offer advice or contact information for places that might be
appropriate?

Best wishes,
Tim Nelson, Ph.D.
Department of Biology
Seattle Pacific University

PS:  For colleagues in Hawaii, I intend no disrespect for your islands.  I
love visiting Hawaii WITHOUT students in tow.  Chaperoning 30 college
students on daily trips to Lahaina on Maui got old after a few years.
Getting students outside their comfort zone seems to make them more
interested in the biology and less interested in having me chauffeur them to
bars, discos, shopping malls, etc..

please contact Mike Guiry. More information and an archive of messages since
1995 can be found at http://www.seaweed.ie/algae-l/default.html