<listowner> List FAQs

Raimund Karl <[log in to unmask]>

CELTIC-L - The Celtic Culture List.

Wed, 17 Oct 2001 08:56:05 +0100

Hi all,

As it is obvious that quite a number of listmembers have forgotten the list
commands, I thought that I should send out the list FAQs. Here they come,
enjoy them.

RAY
Version: 1.1
Date: Friday, 7 February, 1997
Originally created: January, 1997
Author: Seamus Mac Conaonaigh ([log in to unmask])
Maintained by: Seamus Mac Conaonaigh

This document contains Frequently Asked Questions about CELTIC-L (The Celtic
Culture Mailing List), together with answers to those questions. If you have
a problem/question about CELTIC-L, you should consult this document before
posting your question to the CELTIC-L forum or asking the listowners.

Suggestions for improvement are welcome, and should be directed to the
author's e-mail address above.

----

Index of Questions
Section 1: CELTIC-L - the Celtic Culture Discussion List.
Q 1.1 What is CELTIC-L?
Q 1.2 How did CELTIC-L start?
Q 1.3 Who runs CELTIC-L?
Q 1.4 What material is appropriate?
Q 1.5 What material is not appropriate?

Section 2: Subscribing and Unsubscribing
Q 2.1 How do mailing lists work?
Q 2.2 How do I subscribe to CELTIC-L?
Q 2.3 How can I see the membership of the list?
Q 2.4 How do I leave CELTIC-L?
Q 2.5 Why do I continue to receive mail after unsubscribing?
Q 2.6 I still can't get off the list!! What do I do?

Section 3: Archives and Resources
Q 3.1 Can I get hold of archives (i.e. all the old postings)?

Section 4: List Options
Q 4.1 What are "list options"?
Q 4.2 How do I know if my message has been distributed to CELTIC-L?
Q 4.3 How do I stop my name appearing on the membership list?
Q 4.4 What are Digests and Indices?
Q 4.5 Can I stop receiving messages for a short time (e.g. vacation)?

"subscribe" to the list (see next Section) and then receive (as e-mail) all
the messages posted to the list by other members. They may also post to the
list themselves and their postings will be seen by all the other members.

A central computer program handles all the re-mailing/administration (in
this case the computer is the Listserv in University College, Dublin,
Ireland), so that little effort is required by the members themselves.

Q 1.2 How did CELTIC-L start?
Answer: CELTIC-L was started in 1991 by Melcir Erksine-Richmond and Seamus
Mac Conaonaigh. Melcir originally came up with the concept for the list, and
Seamus obtained permission from UCD to use their Listserv as the CELTIC-L
site.

Q 1.3 Who runs CELTIC-L?
Answer: There are two active CELTIC-L owners at the moment. The "technical
owner" is Seamus Mac Conaonaigh ([log in to unmask]). He should be
contacted for help on technical issues (problems with subscriptions,
unsubscriptions etc.).

Raimund Karl ([log in to unmask]) is the "content owner". He can help with
queries about the subject matter of the list, or individual messages.

University College, Dublin, Ireland, own the server which CELTIC-L uses

Q 1.4 What material is appropriate?
Answer: Basically anything to do with the culture of any of the celtic
countries (Ireland, Scotland, Wales, Isle of Man, Cornwall, Brittany, and
any other areas that were celt-occupied at some stage) is acceptable.

This includes, but is not limited to, music, language, customs, traditions,
stories, myths, legends, social structures, religious structures, beliefs,
law systems and so on.

Q 1.5 What material is not appropriate?
Answer: Everything posted to CELTIC-L (or any other list) uses a lot of
network resources. Since each post is being sent to several hundred people,
it's equivalent to sending several hundred separate mail messages. For this
reason everyone should be careful what they post - use of network resources
cost time and money.

Be very careful in posting anything which falls outside the above
guidelines. In particular, advertising of products or services on CELTIC-L
is strictly prohibited (this doesn't include passing on relevant information
about a product/service which you, personally, have found useful).

You should also keep personal messages off the list, where possible. There
have been many problems with so-called "flame wars" - these have sometimes
made up 75% of the total messages, to the annoyance of 95% of the members.

In summary, CELTIC-L is a free service, paid for only by the time and energy
of its coordinators and the good will of the educational institutions
involved. Please do not abuse it.

a list of people interested in a particular topic. Any message that is sent
to the List Address ([log in to unmask]) gets distributed to everybody
who is a member of the list. If members are interested in the topic of the
message, they can reply to it, and these replies are also sent to everybody
on the list (unless a member replies specifically to the sender of the
message, privately. How you do this will depend on what mailing system you
use). This enables a mailing list to act as an open forum for discussions.

A second e-mail address is used for administrative commands such as
subscriptions/cancellations/option-setting. This should not be confused with
the List Address; they are _not_ interchangable. This second address (we'll
call it the Subscription Address) is ([log in to unmask]) and it is
here you should send all Listserv commands.

Q 2.2 How do I subscribe to CELTIC-L?
Answer: To subscribe to (i.e. to join) the list, send a one-line mail
message with no subject header to the Subscription Address (that's
([log in to unmask]) - NOT the List Address!) with the following
text in the body of the message:

SUBSCRIBE CELTIC-L your real name

For example:

SUBSCRIBE CELTIC-L Tom A. Peterson

You don't need to specify your e-mail address; the machine will figure it
out automatically. CELTIC-L doesn't cost any money to receive unless you are
ordinarily charged for receiving e-mail anyway.

Q 2.3 How can I see the membership of the list?
Answer: You do this using the REVIEW command. Send the following line in a
mail message to the Subscription Address ([log in to unmask]):

REVIEW CELTIC-L

You will receive a mail message containing information about the list
together with names and e-mail addresses of all the members (except those
who have deliberately concealed themselves using the SET command - see
below).

Q 2.4 How do I leave CELTIC-L?
Answer: This is the most-frequently asked question of all. Here's what you
do:

Send a one-line mail message with no subject header to the Subscription
Address ([log in to unmask]) with the following text in the body of
the message:

UNSUBSCRIBE CELTIC-L

That's all. No e-mail addresses or personal names need to be specified.

Q 2.5 Why do I continue to receive mail after unsubscribing?
Answer: The second-most-frequently asked question!

There could be one of two reasons for this. The first is that your
subscription request was unsuccessful. This is rarer than people think. If
you receive a message from the Listserv telling you that you're
unsubscribed, then you _are_ unsubscribed (unless you were subscribed twice,
or something). If you don't receive this message, or receive one which tells
you that your "unsubscribe" request has failed (e.g. "You are not on the
list" or "I've never heard of CELTIC-L") then check that you are following
the unsubscribe procedure _exactly_: the right address ([log in to unmask]
anet.ie) and the right command (UNSUBSCRIBE CELTIC-L). If it _still_ doesn't
work, check whether your e-mail address has changed since you originally
subscribed (this can happen without your knowing it - your
company/institution may have implemented a change). If it has, you need to
contact the list owner to remove the old address (the Listserv won't be able
to see that mail coming from your new address corresponds with the old
address).

The second possibility is that you _are_ unsubscribed but are still
receiving a backlog of messages. Often messages take a couple of days
(sometimes several) to reach their destination. Messages that are sent from
the Listserv before you unsubscribe may not reach you until some time after
you receive the message telling you that you are now "unsubscribed". These
messages are in transit, and nothing can be done about them. The only
solution is to outwait them - they should stop after a few days at most.

Q 2.6 I still can't get off the list!! What do I do?
Answer: If nothing above works, then contact the listowner at
([log in to unmask]) or ([log in to unmask]) and he'll try to unsubscribe you
manually.

following text in the body of the message:

INDEX CELTIC-L

To get an inidividual archive, send a one-line mail message with no subject
header to the Subscription Address ([log in to unmask]) with the
following text in the body of the message:

GET CELTIC-L LOGyymm

where yymm is the year and the month of the archive you want. For example,
if you want to get the archive for August, 1993, you send

GET CELTIC-L LOG9308

There are also facilities available for searching the archives for certain
keywords/topics (this saves you receiving huge mail messages which may not
contain anything of interest to you). To find out more about this service,
send one or both of the following lines to the Subscription Address
([log in to unmask]) in a mail message:

INFO
INFO DATABASE

----

Section 4: List Options
Q 4.1 What are "list options"?
Answer: You list options control things such as the way the Listserv sends
you your mail and how it handles postings from you.

To find out what your current options are, send the following line to the
Subscription Address ([log in to unmask]) in a mail message:

QUERY CELTIC-L

You change your mailing options using the SET command. The options include
the following categories: Acknowledgment, Reproduction, Concealment,
Digests/Indices and Mail. These are covered in the next several questions,
together with the use of the SET command.

Q 4.2 How do I know if my message has been distributed to CELTIC-L?
Answer: Usually, the Listserv doesn't send you copies of your own messages,
so it's difficult to know whether your message was successfully distributed
or not. The way around this is to change your Acknowledgment or your
Reproduction options.

Your Acknowledgment option controls whether or not you receive a short
message from Listserv telling you that your message has been distributed. To
invoke this option, send the following line in a mail message to the
Subscription Address ([log in to unmask]):

SET CELTIC-L ACK

To turn it off again, so that you won't receive this acknowledgment, send
the following line instead:

SET CELTIC-L NOACK

Your Reproduction option controls whether or not you receive copies of your
own messages from Listserv. This is normally turned off, because Listserv
assumes that you already _know_ what messages you've sent and don't want
another copy. However, sometimes it's useful to have a copy to let you know
your message was received, or for archival purposes.

If you wish to receive copies of all your postings, send the following line
in a mail message to the Subscription Address ([log in to unmask]):

SET CELTIC-L REPRO

If you want to turn off this option, so that you no longer receive copies of
your own postings, send the following line instead:

SET CELTIC-L NOREPRO

Q 4.3 How do I stop my name appearing on the membership list?
Answer: The REVIEW command (see above) allows anyone to view the membership
of CELTIC-L. If you don't want your name to appear when this command is
used, you should change your Concealment option. To do this, send the
following command in a mail message to the Subscription Address

SET CELTIC-L CONCEAL

To change this back, so that your name once again appears on the membership
list, send the following line instead:

SET CELTIC-L NOCONCEAL

Note that the list owner will always be able to see the entire membership of
the list, regardless of members' concealment options. This is necessary for
the administration of the list.

Q 4.4 What are Digests and Indices?
Answer: Sometimes the traffic (i.e. amount of messages) can be very heavy on
CELTIC-L, and members can receive a large amount of mail per day. Digests
and Indices provide a way around this.

A Digest is a single large mail message containing all of a single day's
postings. If you choose to receive your mail in Digest form, you will just
get a single message every day from CELTIC-L (albeit a large one), which you
can then read at your convenience.

To receive your mail in Digest form, send the following line in a mail
message to the Subscription Address ([log in to unmask]):

SET CELTIC-L DIGEST

To stop receiving Digests, send the following line instead:

SET CELTIC-L NODIGEST

An Index is a mail message containing a list of the day's postings to
CELTIC-L. It shows the sender and subject of each posting. You can then
decide which messages you want to retrieve from the archives (if any).

To receive Indices from CELTIC-L, send the following line in a mail message
to the Subscription Address ([log in to unmask]):

SET CELTIC-L INDEX

To stop receiving Indices, send the following line instead:

SET CELTIC-L NOINDEX

Note that after setting a NOINDEX or a NODIGEST option, the Listserv will
revert back to sending you mail in whatever form was used before you set
your option to INDEX or DIGEST.

Q 4.5 Can I stop receiving messages for a short time (e.g. vacation)?
Answer: Sometimes it's useful to be able to stop the Listserv sending you
your CELTIC-L postings for a short time (e.g. if you're going away for a
week, say). Obviously, you can do this by simply unsubscribing and then
resubscribing when you return. However, you can also just set your Mailing
option instead.

To stop receiving postings from the list, send the following line in a mail
message to the Subscription Address ([log in to unmask]):

SET CELTIC-L NOMAIL

To start receiving mail again, send the following line instead:

SET CELTIC-L MAIL

Note that you may still receive some messages after setting your NOMAIL
option - these have been sent before the Listserv received your command but
haven't been received by you before you sent the command.

----

(c) 1997 Seamus Mac Conaonaigh

Please feel free to distribute this information freely.

Disclaimer: This information is accurate to the best of my knowledge, but I
take no responsibility for errors or ommissions.

Raimund Karl <mailto:[log in to unmask]>
Research Fellow for European Archaeology
Centre for Advanced Welsh and Celtic Studies
National Library of Wales
Aberystwyth, Ceredigion, Cymru, UK
SY23 3HH