Re: Sarmatians/Arthur

Alizah E Solomon <[log in to unmask]>

CELTIC-L - The Celtic Culture List.

Mon, 29 Oct 2001 12:00:18 -0600

Thanks Chris-as ever-very useful information.

Alizah Solomon

-----Original Message-----
From: CELTIC-L - The Celtic Culture List.
[mailto:[log in to unmask]]On Behalf Of Christopher Gwinn
Sent: Monday, October 29, 2001 11:03 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Sarmatians/Arthur

>>Spaniards Orosius and Isidore-
>>Please forgive my igorance, but who are these two gentlemen? I need first
>>and last names and the title of their work-I couldn't find too much on my
>>own.
>C. Scott Littleton and Linda A. Malcor, _From Scythia to Camelot_, Garland
>Publishing. Paperback released in 2000. I found mine on Amazon.com.

Alizah was looking for the last names and book titles for Orosius and
Isidore - not Littleton & Malcor.

For info on Orosius see:
http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/11322a.htm
He is known for his work entitled "Historiarum adversus paganos"

For Isidore of Seville see:
http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/08186a.htm

He is well known for his work entitled "Etymologiae"

>The use of the term "alleged" is perfectly valid. We don't have to agree
>with Littleton and Malcor, but I note that much opposition to their theory
>springs from a very emotional level. The parallels between the Arthurian
>legend and the Sarmatian legends are too numerous to merely dismiss.
>Dumezil does mention the Arthurian legends and their connections. For an
>overview, see _The New Comparative Mythology_ -- edited by C. Scott
>Littleton.

I thought you weren't interested in talking about this subject any more?

In any case, I have found that Dr. Malcor at least is much more prone to
emotional, gut-reactions in regards to the Celtic origins of Arthurian
legend than most of her serious pro-Celtic critics. When Dr. Malcor makes
statements to the effect that King Arthur and his warriors can't be Celtic
because they were never depicted as wearing kilts (which weren't invented
until the industrial revolution, btw!) or riding in chariots (see the
ArthurNet archives for this one - mssg # 009042, 9 June 1998), however, this
is bound to cause an emotional response from those that sepcialize in Celtic
matters - usually laughter first, and then annoyance that she is allowed to
make such ridiculous statements without being taken to task for them.

I personally believe that C. Scott Littleton is an adept scholar on Indo
European matters - but that Celtic mythology, linguistics and culture in
general are not his strong points.

- Chris Gwinn