Subject: Re: "Reahing"? {Off-Topic?}
From: Georgia Wolf 2 <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 12 Sep 2001 20:05:53 -0800

Hrant H Papazian wrote:

> I wrote:
> > BTW, it's interesting to consider reading through senses
> > other than vision, even if you're not blind*. It might
> > provide for some very interesting insight/experience.
>
> I've been thinking about this some more, and mostly
> it's just fun -as opposed to really useful- except
> possibly in one aspect: trying to hear faster.
>
> Do you think we can hear (read: grasp through hearing) more
> than one word at time (maybe using our two ears separately)?
> If so, it might be interesting to try to parallel the act of
> reading (where we in effect absorb many words simultaneously)
> in the realm of listening.
>
> hhp

Hrant,

I wondered what aural stimuli could create this effect of simultaneous
absorption. I think that you would have to get into wavelengths, which
could conceivably be achieved by condensing or expanding *normal*
sounds.

Another, thought was if in one ear certain sounds that are easier to
anicipate or to recognize and that don't require attention were being
received and in the other ear, the sounds or words are coming at a
certain pace and/or pattern as to enhance the message being perceived in
the other ear, in such a way as to create this aural document.

Fun thought!

Georgia