Re: Osprey

Eric Dempsey <[log in to unmask]>

Irish Bird Network <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 17 Sep 2001 18:52:50 +0100

Hi Sean
it seems that I have now joined the long list of birders who have been cursed by the Broad Lough Osprey. I firmly believe that bird waits until a birder leaves having spent at least three hours before it appears. Yesterday I sat from 1.15 to 4.15 at Broad Lough without any joy. It turns up at 4.30pm. Birding is great, isn't it!

Eric
Irish Bird Network <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

<
< Hello all
<
< I visited Broadlough again yesterday and had much better views of the Osprey
< compared to two weeks ago. I met Dick and Sandra Coombes who previously had
< excellent views of the bird fishing and Dick confirmed that it was a
< juvenile Osprey. With the aid of Dick's 60X eyepiece I could see the scaling
< on the upperparts, the pale tip to the tail and the streaking on the crown
< as it preened. In flight (with my own scope) I picked up the distinctly
< barred secondaries below and the narrow black mid underwing band. There
< didn't appear to be any buffish tinge to the underparts often associated
< with juveniles.
< On our way home (8.45pm) I saw a Barn Owl flying above the side of the N11
< beyond Kilmacanogue.
<
< Regards
<
< Sean
<
< +++----------------------------------------------------------------------+++
<
<
< Department of Agriculture, Food and Rural Development
< This e-mail and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended
< solely for the use of the individual or entity to which they are addressed.
< Any review, retransmission, dissemination, reliance upon, or other use of
< this information by persons or entities other than the addressee is
< prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error please notify the
< Department by return message.
<
<