Help for GAIDHLIG-B Archives

Subject: Re: Gidheadh
From: Cecil Ward <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 19 Aug 2001 08:18:33 +0100

Tom's post is fascinating. Another mystery!

Sgrobh Przemek
> Karen pronounces it as "gi h-eadh" with the stress on "gi"

I am assume that Karen has learned it from the horse's mouth, from Murchadh

When Christine Primrose was teaching me the song, she made a specific point
that the stress placement was on the second syllable. My memory grows shaky
here, but I think she said that she'd asked Murchadh about the word, which I
took to mean that she wasn't familiar with it.

I immediately assumed that this meant that it was not a single word at all,
rather "cia h-headh".
My best guess at any rate, meaning literally "what it", which then makes
sense and fits in with the "nevertheless"/"yet" = "whatever it (be)".

List members will be familiar with "Seadh", "is eadh" "is it" = "That's

But why the "g"?

Answers anyone?

We see it again in
        "ge b' e" vs "cia b' e",
and what about
        "gu d" / "ciod " / "cad " etc
I suspect there may a few others.

Anyway, it'd be good to be able to understand this odd word in that
favourite song, and to be able to sing it accurately.

Want to signoff for a while?
Send command SIGNOFF GAIDHLIG-B to [log in to unmask]