Help for IRTRAD-L Archives

IRTRAD-L Archives

Subject: Re: Box Question: Fonnchaoi
From: Han Speek <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 29 Aug 2001 23:51:48 +0200

At 20:04 28-08-01 -0700, you wrote:
>I've recently acquired an old Hohner Black Dot Deluxe B/C box, made in
>the mid-'60s and evidently of the same vintage as Jo's, wooden keybox
>and all that.  It's well in tune throughout the range, very nice action
>(which was hopped up a bit by the previous owner), in short a great
>instrument.  I've really bonded with it; I'll surely be playing it for
>many years to come.  My impression is that the quality of Hohner
>accordions went drastically downhill at some point, maybe when they
>stopped making them in Germany?
>
>Rob

Hi Rob,

Lucky you ! These 3-voice Hohner Black Dot Deluxe's can be made to
sound very nice. And those '60s boxes had good reeds too !
Also, with the wooden keyboard, it's very easy on those to set up the action
in a way that it plays really fast and smooth.

The Hohner quality started going downhill a long time before they moved
production of the diatonics out of Germany. There were several rounds
of cost-cutting, and also just plain modernizing (like the one-piece molded
keyboards replacing the old wooden ones), before that.
But the move to China really did it to them - nobody wants a Hohner now !

Han.

--
Han Speek
E-mail: [log in to unmask]