Help for IRTRAD-L Archives

IRTRAD-L Archives

Subject: Re: Box Question: Fonnchai
From: Han Speek <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 29 Aug 2001 23:40:44 +0200

At 18:57 28-08-01 -0500, you wrote:
>IRTRAD-L Digest - 27 Aug 2001 to 28 Aug 2001 (#2001-97)Well, it -could- be
>a Hohner, but I haven't played a Pokerwork yet that didn't clack and
>rattle like a Model T on a rough road.  Maybe I just didn't have the right
>ones...
>

>                          Rick

Hi Rick,

It is well possible to make a Hohner play like a much better box.
I have an Erica (same design as the current Black Dot model) in
D/D#, on which I put padding under the buttons to stop them from
going in all the way, and I put felt and thicker leather on the wooden
pads where Hohner originally put only thin leather. This takes care
of most of the noise from the keyboard.
Another trick is to lower the buttons into the keyboard (mine are now
only a 1mm above the keyboard surface when not depressed) by
simply holding the pad down while pressing the button down. This
bends the lever for that key slightly out of shape - in a harmless way.

I also know of people who had new reeds fitted in a Hohner (like
Binci #1 !) - but I think that's overkill. Hohner reeds, especially on
the somewhat older ones, are not bad at all - they just need to be
tuned a bit dryer than Hohner does to make them sound good for
Irish music.

Han.

--
Han Speek