Help for IRTRAD-L Archives

IRTRAD-L Archives

Subject: Re: Tune ID
From: Nigel Gatherer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 19 Aug 2001 17:55:11 +0100

Donough O'Donovan wrote:

> This tune was on an Irish Dance recording and I transcribed it to see
> if anyone could identify it. It has a strange rhythym to it that
> seems to almost group notes in phrases of three that puts the
> emphasis off beat ir is it just me that's off beat! Hope someone can
> give it a name and maybe some background.

> d2 cd AFDd| cdAF DFAF| E3

This is a version of a Scots reel, "The Brumley Brae" by William
Macpherson. The Brumley Brae is a hill in the town of Elgin, North-East
Scotland. Macpherson was a fiddler and a native of Elgin, born 1919,
died 1974. I know two distinct versions of this tune, one I presume to
be the original, the other worn slightly with time. If you're
interested I'll post 'em.

--
Nigel Gatherer, Crieff  <[log in to unmask]>
Nigel's ABC Pages: