Help for IRTRAD-L Archives

IRTRAD-L Archives

Subject: Batt Burns - no
From: tom munnelly <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 13 Aug 2001 10:42:02 +0100

Sarah wrote:

"well, I hafta say in defense of Batt Burns, who was touring over here a
year
or so, sans fanfare, that his kid's stories and fairy tales were very good

But perhaps you could recommend alternatives that are truer to the
tradition?"

Firstly,  whereas the Irish storytelling tradition may be inclusive of
children, it was not intended primarily for them. For the very reason that
the genuine article is not considered commercially viable (nowadays it has
to be mocked or hammed up for adults who do not have the interest or the
attention span
required, or simplified for children) good recordings are difficult to
obtain.  But off the top of my head I can recommend a cassetteof field
recordings from Britain and Ireland editied by Jim Carroll and Pat Makenzie
entitled  '... AND THAT'S MY STORY'  published by The Vaughan Williams
Memorial Library.  Also FE/IDHLIM TONN RI/'S CASTLE    told by Se/amus Ennis
on Claddagh ( Record no. CC19) may now be published on CD.  There are many
hours of storytelling recordings in the Archive of the Dept. of Irish
Folklore, University College, Dublin, and many, many thousands of tales
transcribed directly from the lips of (mainly Irish speaking) informants in
that archive.

Regards,

Tom