Pseudo-Nitzschia bloom

Paola Giordano <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 10 Aug 2001 12:52:41 +0200

Dear All,
In April 2001 I've found a bloom of Pseudo-nitzschia spp., maybe P.
delicatissima, P. seriata and P.lineola (see the photoes), in an italian
lagoon. I know that this genus has about 7 toxic species, but I've not
references about it.
Besides of this, in the same samples I've found this flagellate (see the
photo below): it has 2 flagella and its size varies from 10 to ca. 30
micron. I'm not sure about the identification: It seems to be Plagioselmis
prolongata, but the size is greater. Or maybe Chattonella? I've never seen
it, but I know that its common in that area.
Does anyone help me?
Thanks in advance
Paola Giordano

Dr. Paola Giordano
************************************
ENEA
Div. Biotecnologie e Agricoltura
Sez. Miglioramento delle Produzioni Animali
Via Anguillarese, 301
-00060 S.M. di Galeria Roma - Italy
tel: +39 06.3048.6809
fax: +39 06.3048.4342/4768
E-mail: [log in to unmask]

please contact Mike Guiry. More information and an archive of messages since
1995 can be found at http://www.seaweed.ie/algae-l/default.html