Subject: Re: 14px?
From: Curtis Clark <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 7 Jul 2001 13:01:43 -0700

At 10:33 AM 7/7/01, Ron Koster wrote:
>Can you explain a bit more, how that [media="print"] works? We've already
>decided to limit the width of pages to 535 to help facilitate printing, if
>that helps.

Look at http://www.csupomona.edu/~jcclark/classes/bot125/glossary/ (in
Internet Explorer or Mozilla). Print it (first couple of pages). Compare
the hardcopy to the screen. Look at the HTML and the two style sheets.

>Yeah, I know what you mean, but that then means that not only do web pages
>have to be made, but hard-copy versions also have to be made (layed out,
>formatted, blah blah blah), and that would virtually double our workload
>(plus generating the PDFs on top of that, of course, although that's not
>too much trouble).

You don't have to make the web pages; the students can view the pdf in the
browser, using the plugin.

>Yeah, it all makes perfect sense to me -- I'm just really curious now,
>though, why those CSS gurus seem to emphasize that one should use pixel
>sizes instead (with 14px being the "optimum" size for setting one's main
>text at).

CSS gurus differ on this. Ems are not rendered precisely alike by Netscape
and IE (pixels are more similar), and they don't inherit properly in tables
in Netscape (but there are simple workarounds). The best solution when
possible, as Gary pointed out, is to avoid specifying font size at all.

Biological Sciences Department             Voice: (909) 869-4062
California State Polytechnic University      FAX: (909) 869-4078
Pomona CA 91768-4032  USA                  [log in to unmask]