XML-L@LISTSERV.HEANET.IE

XML-L Home

XML-L  July 2001

XML-L July 2001

Re: Entities Declaration

"Christopher R. Maden" <[log in to unmask]>

Sun, 1 Jul 2001 13:23:10 -0700

At 06:28 1-07-2001, Peter Flynn wrote:
> > "Christopher R. Maden" wrote:
> > > But no one really accesses notation identifiers, usually (since no one
> > > knows what exactly is supposed to be there), so having a system
> identifier
> > > isn't as important.  (This is analogous to namespace URIs.)
>
>A number of SGML applications used a system identifier on a
>notation declaration to specify the executable that could
>handle the notation declared, eg
>
><!NOTATION eps PUBLIC "-//Adobe//NOTATION Blah//EN" "gv">

And this was so staggeringly non-portable that I had difficulty believing
it the first time I saw it.  Yes, yes, you could use different parameter
entities to load different files of notation declarations, or conditional
marked sections with OS keywords, but...  Putting this into XML as a
requirement would *not* have helped.  Many systems just used the notation
public ID (or even the name itself!) to trigger appropriate internal
processing, and many others simply ignored the notation
information.  (Since notations are mostly used for graphics, auto-detection
seemed to work fine.  When was the last time you had to tell Photoshop or
xv what format something was?)

>Another unexpectedly missing feature of XSL software is its
>inability to loop through the tokens of an ENTITIES attribute.
>I'd like to be able to output new twigs on my tree for each
>entity thus referenced. It's perfectly possible to fix using a
>recursive named template, but IMHO the user should not be
>required to resort to this level for what is a very basic
>feature.

That's a good point.  But I think that very few XML users use ENTITY or
ENTITIES attributes; I think it's only SGML hackers who know what they're
doing with them, or are porting older practices.  (And those folks don't
have trouble dealing with recursive templates. (-: )

-Chris
--
Christopher R. Maden, XML Consultant