Subject: Re: White characters in XML.
From: Ronald Bourret <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 4 Jul 2001 03:06:40 -0700

Chaim Koshizky wrote:

> I have a database which I am converting into XML. The database contains many
> white and odd characters.  ( $  /  ,  @  #  etc.  )
>
> What is the best way to treat these characters consistently when going
> forward and backward.

Since XML supports Unicode, it should support all of the characters you
have in your database. The only characters that might cause problems are
characters used for markup -- specifically ', ", &, <, and >.

When transferring data from the XML document to the database, you don't
need to worry about these. When transferring data from the database to
an XML document, you should replace them with references to the apos,
quot, amp, lt, and gt entities.

-- Ron