Help for IBN-L Archives

IBN-L Archives

Subject: Re: Straight Scopes
From: Dr G Saunders <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 27 Jul 2001 14:05:30 PDT

I have a 13 year old straight-bodied Kowa (yes - hardly used). I love it. If you can
keep both eyes open and look through the telescope then straight bodies are the best -
one eye sees where the thing is pointing, the other sees the close-up. If you have a
bent body then all one would see with one eye is the ground or one's feet. They also
prevent the onset of dowager's hump from all that bending over. Straight back - far
better, and more comfortable. Of course, it pays to have a tall tripod that can extend
to one's eye-height when standing. I guess the thinking with the bent ones is that one
can make field sketches without looking up from one's eyepiece - but's that's only
useful when one is sitting down with a sill or similar to rest one's notebook.

Graham