XML-L@LISTSERV.HEANET.IE

XML-L Home

XML-L  June 2001

XML-L June 2001

Re: Standard format for health informational pages

"Biron,Paul V" <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 15 Jun 2001 16:25:18 -0700

> Date:    Fri, 15 Jun 2001 16:41:03 -0500
> From:    Eric Bohlman <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject: Re: Standard format for health informational pages
>
> 6/15/01 3:41:47 PM, Peter Flynn <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
> >On Fri, 15 Jun 2001, Jacob wrote:
> >> Funded by the EU, we are going to develop a standard format
> >> for health informational pages. The intention with this
> >> format is to allow different health informational systems
> >> on the Internet to exchange and re-use each other's web
> >> pages.
> >>
> >> The format will probably be based on XML, with the text
> >> itself in XHMTL, possibly a restricted XHTML with certain
> >> guidelines on how to use the HTML tags.
> >>
> >> Is there anything special I should think about when doing
> >> this. I am already aware of Dublin Core and will look at it.
> >
> >Look at the HL7 initiative (www.hl7.org).
>
> My understanding of Jacob's intended application is that it involves
> "health news and education"
> materials, not the patient-specific information that HL7 addresses.  It
> sounds like a "document"
> application rather than a "data" application.

Jacob,

Rather than have the rest of us guess as to the intended content of the
information you interested in, can you provide us with a little more detail
about your use case.  In addition to the information content of the "web
pages" themselves, can you provide some typical scenarios where "health
information systems" would want to exchange this information?

In addition the the traditional "patient-specific" information messaging
that HL7 has always done, in the last several years we have branched out
into other areas, including structured clinical documents.  The first
standard in this area (from HL7 or any other SDO) is the Clinical Document
Architecture (CDA) which is an XML encoding of "attestable" clinical
documents that draws the semantics of the elements from HL7's Reference
Information Model.

We intend to expand the CDA framework into other areas of health care
documents (such as practice guidelines...which are similar to "best
practices" flow charts for a given clinical diagnosis/treatment).  We would
be VERY interested in hearing more about the needs that Jacob has and would
certainly consider incorporating his requirements in the next revision of
the CDA framework.

Paul V. Biron
co-chair, HL7 Structured Documents Technical Committee
co-chair, HL7 XML Special Interest Group