Help for ALGAE-L Archives

ALGAE-L Archives

Subject: Desmid and other micro-algal Types.
From: "Jennifer Bryant (formerly J. Moore)" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 29 Jun 2001 16:30:40 +0100

I would like to add some comments to those of Norman Andresen following
Micha Bayer's questions on mounting and type designation for desmids.
We have a large collection of preserved desmids here at BM and they include
many types of taxa described by G.S. and W. West, John Ralfs and Woodhead
and Tweed, amongst others. They are on strewn microscope slides, in liquid
(formalin) preservation and as dried samples on mica stored in packets on
herbarium sheets. Occasionally we receive types of newly described taxa of
desmids and other micro-algae from their authors, usually as slides or in
liquid preservation. We are very happy to house this material.
Apart from some recent interest by Michael Dingley, who is researching the
life and work of William Joshua, a Cirencester-based microscopist who
specialized in desmids, little use has been made of this resource. We know
that some of this micro-algal material is still in a relatively good state,
although some has deteriorated beyond use.
My colleague, Franco Novarino, has used dried Cryptophyte material housed
here to assist in typification in this group.
This is by way of advertising that these collections exist and are
available for study, either here or as loans. We would be particularly
grateful for other curator's experiences of the use and permanency of such
collections.
Many thanks, Jenny Bryant.
PLEASE NOTE NEW CODE AND TELEPHONE/FAX NUMBERS
Ms Jennifer Bryant (formerly Jenny Moore)
Curator of Algae
Botany Department
The Natural History Museum
Cromwell Road
London, SW7 5BD
U.K.
Tel.(+44)(0)20 7942 5004
Fax.(+44)(0)20 7942 5529
E-mail. [log in to unmask]

please contact Mike Guiry. More information and an archive of messages since
1995 can be found at http://www.seaweed.ie/algae-l/default.html