AFRIK-IT June 2001

African ISP Forum @ ACT 2001

Brian Longwe <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 11 Jun 2001 12:13:39 +0300

Sorry for cross-posting

HE AFRICAN ISP FORUM @ ACT 2001

There is an urgent need for ISPs in African countries to develop
collaborative mechanisms and practices in order to optimise international
bandwidth utilisation and work together to develop the Internet in their
countries. At present over 20 African countries have three or more ISPs and
this number will grow rapidly over the coming years, increasing competition
and spreading Internet services. However, South Africa is the only African
country to successfully introduce Internet Exchange Points between ISPs in
order to retain intra-ISP traffic in-country, rather than having to
transmit all traffic via Europe or the US, thus increasing transmission
costs.

Kenya's leading ISPs have formed an association, the Telecommunication
Service Providers of Kenya (TESPOK), and in November 2000 installed an
exchange. However, the Communications Commission of Kenya, under pressure
from Kenya Telkom, forced them to close down the exchange, asking them to
submit a formal licence application for the exchange. Litigation has now
ensued.

This experience has highlighted the need for ISPs to form effective
associations, to understand their domestic regulatory environment and its
impact, to develop knowledge of best practices in other countries and lobby
for policy changes that will promote effective Internet roll-out in their
countries.

The Forum will empower ISPs with the knowledge they need to develop a
better understanding of these issues and the options open to them -
bothstrategically and technically.

The Forum is being supported by the ISP Association of South Africa and the
Commonwealth Telecommunications Organisation.

The programme will cover the following topics:

· The need for co-operation among ISPs and lessons from existing
associations
· Barriers to co-operating and how to find solutions
· Setting up Internet Exchange Points
· Liaison with regulatory bodies and government
· Dealing with incumbent Telcos
· Co-operation with international ISP associations (MoU's) etc.
· ISPs and liability for content
· Social development initiatives i.e. skills development

The UKs Department for International Development (DfID) has committed
funding for up to 90 ISPs to send delegates to the Forum and attend ACT, as
part of its African Regional Internet Initiative. To apply for a DfID
scholarship African ISPs should fill in the form below and send to:

Fax:    (44)-1480-831131
E-mail: [log in to unmask]

ACT Summit 2001 - ISP Forum Scholarship Application Form

Note: Only one scholarship will be allocated per each ISP; ISPs in South
Africa are not                                                eligible

A. APPLICANT'S DETAILS

Applicant's First Name:
Applicant's Surname:
Name of ISP:
Applicant's Job Title:
Size of ISP (number of subscribers):
Number of full-time staff:
Postal Address:
Physical Address:
Telephone Code & Number:
Fax Code & Number:
E-mail:

The above wishes to apply for a scholarship to attend the African ISP Forum
at the ACT 2001 Summit.  (I understand that the
scholarship will cover my delegate fee and that I or my organisation will
cover my travel, accommodation and other related costs.)

Please register the above as a delegate for Training Workshop 1: [ ]
Results-oriented Planning on Developing a Business a Business Plan for SME
IT companies @ $245/R1,960 per delegate

Please register the above as a delegate for Training Workshop 2: [ ]
Database-driven web publishing @ $125/R1,000 per delegate

Please Register the above as a delegate for VSAT Workshop 1: [ ]
African satellite regulation @  $125/R1,000 per delegate.

Please register the above as a delegate for VSAT Workshop 2: [ ]
African networks redefined @ $125/R1,000 per delegate.

Please register the above as a delegate to the Open Source Software
Workshop [ ]
@ $125/R1,000 per delegate

Please make a hotel reservation on my behalf as indicated below:

B. ACCOMMODATION - Check- in 30 July 2001 & Check-out 3 August 2001

   [ ] HOTEL 224 (Km to venue: ±20Km)         [ ] BEST WESTERN HOTEL (Km to
venue: ±17Km)
       Single R1,160/$155                         Single R1,280/$170
       Twin    R1,560/$215                        Twin    R1,690/$230

   [ ] SAINT GEORGE HOTEL (Km to venue: 0Km)  [ ] MANHATTAN HOTEL (Km to
venue: ±16Km)
       Single R1,540/$270                         Single R1,960/$270
       Twin    R2,100/$470                        Twin    R2,440/$540

   [ ] IRENE LODGE (Km to venue: ±5Km)        [ ] CENTURION LAKE (Km to
venue: ±20Km)
       Single R2,720/$360                         Single R3,460/$350
       Twin    R3,520/$510                        Twin    R4,680/$480

   [ ] GUEST HOUSES
       Single 1,350/$175
       Twin    R2,586/$335

PLEASE NOTE: The above prices include 4 nights' accomodation, breakfast and
transport from your hotel to the conference and back
each day.  Please mark your first preference.  In the event that a room is
not available in the hotel of your choice, we will book you
accommodation in an alternative hotel that is of an equivalent standard

   D. PAYMENT

Payment of my accommodation costs and additional workshop costs not covered
by my scholarship is enclosed (Dollar or Sterling)
cheque or banker's draft made out to
AITEC,
15 High Street,
Graveley, Cambridgeshire,
PE19 6PL ,
UK

Telephone: (44)-1480-831300
Fax: (44)-1480-831131
E-mail: [log in to unmask]

Bank Detail: National Westminster Bank
Branch Code: 60-30-06
UKŁ Account Number: 90213335
US$ Account Number: 08114102

OR

Payment by credit card please phone: AITEC (44) 1480 831300 to give card
details

Please debit my: [ ] Visa   [ ] CardMaster Card  [ ] Diners Card   [ ] Amex
Card

Credit Card Number:

Code on reverse of card
Card Expires      Month [   ]    Year [   ]

For clients situated outside of South Africa, please complete the following
details:

Passport number:
Date of Birth: .
Billing Address:

Please Invoice the above organisation

C. CONDITIONS OF REGISTRATION

All delegate fees and accommodation charges must be paid in full before the
Summit. There will be a 20% administration charge on
delegate registration and accommodation cancellations received before the 6
July 2001. 100% cancellation fee will be charged on
cancellations received after 6 July 2001

Name:

Signature: