XML-L May 2001

Re: external entities

"John E. Simpson" <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 4 May 2001 09:01:45 -0400

Janning Vygen wrote:

> It is so obvious for me its a good idea to split document type definitions
> across many documents and to allow document type definitions even inside my
> xml data. I cant imagine why this is not part of the w3c rec

Yeah, well, there's (IMO) a *lot* of stuff included in/excluded from the
XML 1.0 Rec which makes little sense to someone coming to XML without
having first gone through SGML. The SGML legacy has always seemed both
blessing and curse for XML. In the same way, I kind of wish the
carpenters would frame my next house with plastic beams, rafters, and
studs -- then I'd never again have to worry about termites, water
damage, fire, and so on. But it's not going to happen, for a lot of very
practical reasons: the carpenters would rebel, I'd never be able to hang
shelves from the studs again, and I'd miss hearing the tick, tick-tick
of the frame settling at night as I drift off to sleep.

(Personally, I thought Ken Holman's outline of how he includes
(sub)documents very enlightening -- pretty much making possible what you
want (what *anyone* would want).)
John E. Simpson          | "I accidentally installed the deer
http://www.flixml.org    | whistles on my car backwards. Now
XML Q&A: www.xml.com     | everywhere I go, I'm chased by deer."