Help for ALGAE-L Archives

ALGAE-L Archives

Subject: Re: Algae-L:Please attach a picture
From: Braam Pieterse <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 19 May 2001 08:19:14 +0200

Dear Mike
A very good idea!  You have my upport!
So, all you phycophyles(?) out there, let's do it.
Best wishes
Braam

Professor AJH Pieterse
Botany; Head, Life Sciences
Potchefstroom University for CHE
Tel:   018-299 2500; Internat: +27 18 2992500
Fax:  018-299 2503; Internat: +27 18 2992503
E-mail: [log in to unmask]
Cell:  082 923 4881

on 18/5/01 3:07 AM, Paul Bird at [log in to unmask] wrote:

> Dear All
>       Each of us has an expertise or building our information base in algae
> related science. All of us at some time ask for help or for information,
> such as the e-mail posted below, and we are all willing to help each other
> and learn different aspects of our world or we would not be connected to
> this list server. But what we often forget is that there is a whole spectrum
> of algal related interest, some peripheral and some quite distant to our own
> interest. So with a call for help like Jeff's, I find it very frustrating
> that I can not visualise the organism of Jeff's concern, as it is only a
> name. As I work with benthic microalgae I may have, unknown to me,
> information that may be of interest to Jeff.  So, the point of this message
> is that if any body wants a positive and significant response could they
> please attach a JPEG picture if and where ever possible.
> Taking this line of thought forward, would it be possible for the server to
> instigate a photo folder or library which we could post our photos along
> with any relevant information. This can then be accessed by all listed
> members only and used as a reference library with permission to copy,
> properly referenced of course.

I see the point. However, there is a very good reason for this. By consensus
it was decided that no attachments would be permitted due to difficulties
with potential viruses and the size of some attachments were causing
difficulties for people with modems; instead people would post pictures at a
www address or I would post them on www.seaweed.ie. I will do this at any
time. Access to the server for everybody would be too difficult to set up
through our firewall.

Mike Guiry ALGAE-L listowner
--
Michael D. Guiry
Department of Botany Tel: +353 91 750 410

please contact Mike Guiry. More information and an archive of messages since
1995 can be found at http://www.seaweed.ie/algae-l/default.html