Help for OLD-IRISH-L Archives

OLD-IRISH-L Archives

Subject: devolopment of the definite article.
From: Elias Lazinski <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 17 Apr 2001 22:08:39 EDT

  I have a phonetic development question that I received from someone interested in the Celtic languages. The question pertains to the development of the definite article in Insular Languages, and specifically Irish.

He asked me:
   how does  Common Celtic "sindos"   become Irish "an"

I remember reading in Thurneyson the account of this change...but unfortunately I can't seem to find my copy!

So I just listed the forms of the Old Irish Article that show stages halfway between "sindos" and "an" :

masc.acc.s: in / -sin
fem.nom.s: ind
dat.s: (s)ind/(s)int

 and so forth, any more help on this topic would be greatly appreciated by both myself and my friend!

thank you all in advance

E. lazinski