Re: Gaelic in the Census

A Woods <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 25 Apr 2001 11:57:46 +0200

At 08:55 a.m. 25/04/01 +1000, judy steele wrote:

>What I intend to do is to complete the form nevertheless and send it.
>I will also write a letter along the lines of the identification of national
>identity ...

Another way is for people overseas to say they intend to move back to
Scotland in the near future and expect to find the right conditions to
express themselves in Gaidhlig.

That should scare the wits out of them: the prospect of hundreds of
thousands of Gaelic speaking emigrants returning to the hameland to give
them a headache!

I would be grateful if someone could translate the following to add to the
top of the letter (or even improve the idea in keeping with the theme):

        "I have been following recent events in Scotland with great interest as I
intend to return home with all my family in the near future and" .... as a
supporter of Gaelic, I am writing to you to express my disappointment that
the 2001 census form was not available in Gaelic. ...

        "<
                                                    agus>" ... mar neach
labhairt na Gidhlig, tha mi a' sgrobhadh thugaibh a dhanamh soilleir gur
e for bhriseadh dil a th' ann dhomhsa nach deach foirm cunntas sluaigh
2001 fhoillseachadh anns a' Ghidhlig.

        Tapadh leibh,

        Adrian Woods

Want to signoff for a while?
Send command SIGNOFF GAIDHLIG-B to [log in to unmask]