Re: Tree Visualizer for Schema

Peter Flynn <[log in to unmask]>

Sun, 15 Apr 2001 16:51:11 +0100

On Sun, 15 Apr 2001, Prabhu K wrote:

> Is there some swing or AWT toolkit to view the Schema
> Description or DTD as a tree structure ?

There are several standard utilities for this. The Perl::XML
components include a DTD viewer, which prints an ASCII tree.
I suspect the other major toolkits (Python, Tcl, etc) also
have similar features.

Several people have written clever utilities for processors like
XSLT and Omnimark which will do a similar job. Ask on the
relevant mailing lists ([log in to unmask] and the
developers' forums on www.omnimark.com). Ask nicely; these are
busy people.

The leading commercial product until recently* was Microstar's
Near&Far, which is a graphical DTD editor, excellent but
expensive and unable to handle multi-file DTDs except to read
them in. Used extensively by document type designers for a
quick view or first draft; then it's back to emacs/tdtd-mode
for the real work :-) Near&Far is SGML-based but will Save As
XML for writing DTDs.

A copy (possibly limited) of Near&Far is embedded in WordPerfect
Office Professional (only, not the regular version), but I think
this is for viewing. Good idea though.

*Popkin Software's Envision XML does similar stuff to Near&Far
but has a better display and (as you would expect from them)
*much* better data modelling/management tools. 7-day free
trial only, then buy it (but well worth it if you do DTDs for
a living). Comes with component repository and other goodies.

STiLO's WebWriter and other editors have the ability to generate
a DTD from a well-formed XML file as you type it, so if you
have well-formed but DTD-less instances you can open them and
save their structure as a DTD. One of the few editors to handle
MathML properly.

Most XML editors seem to have a graphical tree display of the
current document structure, but this tends to be limited to
showing the structure of an existing instance, not the DTD or
Schema.

I've never heard of a Swing or AWT toolkit to do any of this
(but I don't use either of them, so that's not saying much :-)

///Peter