Re: Tree Visualizer for Schema

Peter Flynn <[log in to unmask]>

Sun, 15 Apr 2001 16:51:11 +0100

On Sun, 15 Apr 2001, Prabhu K wrote:

> Is there some swing or AWT toolkit to view the Schema
> Description or DTD as a tree structure ?

There are several standard utilities for this. The Perl::XML
components include a DTD viewer, which prints an ASCII tree.
I suspect the other major toolkits (Python, Tcl, etc) also
have similar features.

Several people have written clever utilities for processors like
XSLT and Omnimark which will do a similar job. Ask on the
relevant mailing lists ([log in to unmask] and the
developers' forums on Ask nicely; these are
busy people.

The leading commercial product until recently* was Microstar's
Near&Far, which is a graphical DTD editor, excellent but
expensive and unable to handle multi-file DTDs except to read
them in. Used extensively by document type designers for a
quick view or first draft; then it's back to emacs/tdtd-mode
for the real work :-) Near&Far is SGML-based but will Save As
XML for writing DTDs.

A copy (possibly limited) of Near&Far is embedded in WordPerfect
Office Professional (only, not the regular version), but I think
this is for viewing. Good idea though.

*Popkin Software's Envision XML does similar stuff to Near&Far
but has a better display and (as you would expect from them)
*much* better data modelling/management tools. 7-day free
trial only, then buy it (but well worth it if you do DTDs for
a living). Comes with component repository and other goodies.

STiLO's WebWriter and other editors have the ability to generate
a DTD from a well-formed XML file as you type it, so if you
have well-formed but DTD-less instances you can open them and
save their structure as a DTD. One of the few editors to handle
MathML properly.

Most XML editors seem to have a graphical tree display of the
current document structure, but this tends to be limited to
showing the structure of an existing instance, not the DTD or

I've never heard of a Swing or AWT toolkit to do any of this
(but I don't use either of them, so that's not saying much :-)