Help for UILLEANN Archives

UILLEANN Archives

Subject: Re: Brass for keys
From: KJPopejoy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 1 Mar 2001 16:38:13 -0600

Bob May wrote:

>  Does anyone know of a source for soft maleable brass #260 for making
> keys. I have some 3/16" square stock from Small Parts but it is #360
> and doesn't anneal very well. I have broken several keys today and I'm
> very frustrated.
>  I would be looking for 3/16"x 1/4"... 3/16" square stock or 3'16"
> plate.
>  Thanks in advance for any help.
>
> Bob

Hi Bob,

I should have mentioned in my earlier post; you should try Naval Brass
CA464. This stuff is generally prescribed for hot forming and forging
and would probably be a better choice than the 260 and definately
better than the 360. The 360 is "free cutting" and prescribed for
machining and cutting operations and a better choice for tool making.
The 260 is Cartridge brass and very malleable for that purpose. I've
not tried 260 so I don't know about it's forging
characteristics...(shrug).

Kevin