Help for UILLEANN Archives

UILLEANN Archives

Subject: Answer to the Piper's Despair
From: Royce Lerwick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 24 Mar 2001 12:39:21 -0600

There's a guy advertising himself as a reedmaker on RMMB. I always wondered
why there weren't more dedicated reedmakers in the UP/smallpipe world, like
there are for the GHB and other instruments. I'm just passing this on for
commentary or information on the reedmaker in question, but I'm also keen
to know if there are any others out there in that business, as I've always
though it made sense but never heard of anyone advertised specifically as
just a reedmaker, only pipe makers who have been forced to make reeds so
they can make their own pipes work. It's a miserable job to be sure so
maybe that's the reason nobody is taking it up enmasse.

Are there reedmakers in the US by any chance?

Royce

Quote from reply on RMMB:

Royce,
Not at any time have I said I will send reeds out just made without any
knowledge of the chanter. In fact I ALWAYS say "I prefer to have the chanter
for at least a week to design, tune, and settle the reed". As I am in England,
the American UP players would know little about "dedicated" reedmakerson this
side of the water as its usually a drop in and do it in a day (not what I
recommend, having an eager piper hanging over your shoulder only to moan about
something two days later). And that eternal search for perfect
tuning/playability  is a cod.And I  once witnessed a piper using a tuner (for
1/2 an hour) and at the end they were worse than when he started. The greatest
pipers have tape and rush and card and I have reeded up many of them without
complaint. I know too often of the people who will not grit their teeth and
play, Life is too short to fanny about with reeds forever, when you can adjust
your playing. Just listen to Keenan then play his chanter and you'll know what
I'm talking about. I merely dropped a post offering a reedmaking service
without any claims apart from "great". No one has asked the right question. Its
all "I'm going to challenge you". I do reedmaking to keep Uilleann piping
alive, it's a hassle of a craft, I dont have to do it, but I do it because I
know the pleasure of playing the pipes and hate to see people not getting
anywhere near that.
For chanters, if in doubt, use someone who was taught by the maker if he's not
around. For Bourke, 3 people spring to mind. One of them will say "I only make
reeds for my chanters"............
Alan

Neokeltic/Dance/Techno/Electronic/Metal/NewAge/Weirdness
Phantom Pipe Band (www.mp3.com/phantompipeband)
http://artists.mp3s.com/artists/118/sfu.html
Digital Warrior
http://artists.mp3s.com/artists/83/royce_lerwick.html