Help for UILLEANN Archives

UILLEANN Archives

Subject: Slips/Reeds
From: [log in to unmask]
Date:Fri, 9 Mar 2001 18:10:31 EST

Now after making over 100 reeds and having SOMEWHAT of a clue ... I've
noticed a trend in my reeds that work (and have worked). I have a sound in
mind...usually related to brightness and resonance as I'm not a fan of quiet
(as in muted) D chanter sounds. I find that after i've had the reed tied and
proceed w/ the once a day adjustments..(nothing to drastic as not t' F. the
reed up) I end up untying the reed to i can put the slips back on the
cylinder t' get the edges sharper so I can get more buzz...

recently I was very careful w/ width measurements of the slip. o put it on
the cylinder and scaped and scraped and wah-lah...I ended up w/a slip that
was .5 on one side and .475 on the other... I'd gone to far.

How far do you reed carvers (who get USABLE results) go on the cylinder? Is
there a point at which th difference betwen fairly sharp and paper thin makes
no audible difference?

the reed I have now on the bench is very unusual as the crow sounded wobbbly
(the only way t' Xplain). I thought for sure I've messed up again despite my
attention to width detail (something I've occasionally blew off and got the
xpected results as well).  I've been very patient w/ the tweek and scrape
process. I've quelled the wobbles w/ scraping..which by the way I'm doing
entirley w/a knifeI bought from Celtic Fire (AWESOME blade w/tunz
o'control!). I still think the crow sounds odd and indeed the reed sounds
quite diff. in this chanter than any other reed I've heard. So, I just tweak
a lil' each day..so the reed can have time t' adjust. The back D is solid as
the Burren so obvioulsy I have a way t' go w/ the tweakage...one step at a
time.

For U long time listees...this is sure miles away from the Pit Bull and
Empire State..but hey that's how U learn. Because of all that I managed to
use a Daye staple, my reed, in a Britton chanter.

If the A in the 2nd oct is dead on...have I done something wrong or am I on
the right track?

BTW-for those going to the St. Louis Tinol. It's well worth it t' check out
Seth's Reed Class. I was only in a 1 hour class in Chicago 2 years ago
(about) and just by watching learned that U can make a great sounding reed
w/out spending a decade in measurements. Now I gotta get t' a Kohler class.

regards
O'Kaine