Help for UILLEANN Archives

UILLEANN Archives

Subject: Re: Replies
From: "U.P. List Admin" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 13 Mar 2001 08:20:47 -0500

At 07:12 AM 3/13/01 -0600, RJ Thorpe wrote:
>Can someone remind me why "replies" on this list go to the sender
>and not the list itself.

Sure!

I set up the original list this way because I wanted replies
to remain private unless the sender makes the tiny extra effort
to reply in public.

I felt this would serve pipers and Celtic temperaments best,
even if it is unusual or contrary to common Internet habits.
The caliber of typical Internet discussion speaks for
itself. IR-TRAD and REC.MUSIC.MAKERS.BAGPIPE, which operate
the usual way, sometimes illustrate what I was seeking to
avoid here.

Normally this list is on topic and civil. Content and
quality can only be guaranteed by formal moderation in
which every post must be approved by editors in advance.
Such a policy would be a drastic constraint on discussion,
compared to reply-to-author.

Also, experienced pipers or makers sometimes have thoughts
that they strongly do not want broadcast, but that they
may need to share privately. Some of these people will
be new to the internet world, which was the norm a
few years ago. The reply-to-author default adds a
small measure of safety which can help to foster new
contacts and private discussions that might grow into
knowlege that becomes useful to all.

In sum "It seemed like the thing to to at the time."

dd

Educational Uilleann & Highland Pipe Pages:
 http://www-bprc.mps.ohio-state.edu/~bdaye/bagpipes.html
Uilleann Pipes Home Building Page:
 http://www-bprc.mps.ohio-state.edu/~bdaye/homepipe.html
Penny-Chanter and Sets Sold: