Help for UILLEANN Archives

UILLEANN Archives

Subject: Re: wood for pipes
From: [log in to unmask]
Date:Tue, 13 Mar 2001 06:40:43 -0800

Bill & Phil, I have a Cocobolo set made by Andreas Rogge, and it is
lovely (nice sound as well as nice looking).  What has been pointed out
long ago bears repeating, however - Cocobolo is phototropic, like all
rosewoods.  When first cut it is almost a bright orange.  But when
exposed to light, it gets darker and darker.  I've seen older examples
that to me are hard to distinguish from Blackwood.  When not in use, I
keep mine covered with a large (very large!) piece of leather that blocks
the light as well as doubles as a popping strap - or did so until I
started using one of those neat ready-made popping valves from a Minute
Maid carton.  Anyway, the best way to keep Cocobolo looking pretty might
be to follow my lead and neglect practicing, thus maximizing the time
your pipe-wood is kept protected under cover or in its box  ;-)   I think
you are more likely to show an allergic reaction if you are turning the
wood and working it, as opposed to merely handling the finished product,
although again maybe you should ask someone who handles it more than I
do.  --  double ;-))

At the time I was ordering my set, I also was wondering about plumwood,
but never found out much about it; I was already leaning heavily toward
Cocobolo.  Rogge offers both, or did back in '96.
- Jim Arrowsmith