Help for UILLEANN Archives

UILLEANN Archives

Subject: Re: Scraping V Sanding.
From: David Daye <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 10 Mar 2001 08:58:56 -0500

At 06:18 PM 3/9/01 -0500, Robert Gardiner wrote:

>I was taught to make reeds (after a fashion) by Robbie Hughes

>He tests the stage of scraping by flexing the slip every so often and can
>tell if it's at the correct thickness from its flexibility. This obviously
>needs lots of experience and tactile information storage in the old head.

Obviously! It's an interesting story but, like the occasional musician
with perfect pitch who can tune an instrument perfectly without any
reference, it's not any practical help to us average fellows. There's
no harm in the occasional reed maker having to rely on calipers.

>smooth surface. Burnishing improves this further. A smoother slip gives a
>better sound".

OK then try this furniture makers' trick I adopted many many years ago:

After you finish the interior, next lightly moisten a finger and dampen
the inner surface where the lips will be. Let dry 30 minutes and you will
see the grain has raised. This varies greatly with cane; some softer
canes will crinkle like a mountain range in there! Refinish with your
choice of ultra fine sandpaper or burnishing.

This surface will hold its smoothness against future weather cycles
better than one made by any form of purely dry finishing. It's not
the condition of the surface at the bench that matters, it's the
condition weeks and years later that determines your voice.

>right or not. Maybe with time! If we are looking at stats I am  10-60-20 in
>the concert reed league and 2-10-2 in the flat department (wins-losses and
>draws).

Ah well the thing to ask is what are the traits of the losses or draws?
It may suggest problems with the cane supply or certain parts of the method
that can be improved.

dd

Educational Uilleann & Highland Pipe Pages:
 http://www-bprc.mps.ohio-state.edu/~bdaye/bagpipes.html
Uilleann Pipes Home Building Page:
 http://www-bprc.mps.ohio-state.edu/~bdaye/homepipe.html
Penny-Chanter and Sets Sold: