Subject: Re: advice
From: Gary Munch <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 24 Mar 2001 15:21:41 -0400

>At 03:38 24-03-2001, Roy Preston wrote: (Gunnar actually, first)
>> >In case anyone needs something to deride:
>> >http://www.webreview.com/2001/03_23/designers/index01.shtml
>>
>>Recurrence of this character  throughout the text? Prefer not to comment
>>on content.

>I didn't get that - I think those are supposed to be em dashes - but it was

At least they're entities -- oh wait, the meta tag suggests iso latin-1;
wherein &#151; is Undefined -- the headers
HTTP/1.1 200 OK
Date: Sat, 24 Mar 2001 20:01:30 GMT
Server: Apache/1.3.3
Last-Modified: Fri, 23 Mar 2001 07:52:09 GMT
Connection: close

say nothing about the encoding, apparently.
Windows 3.1 does have em dash at 151, but that ain't latin-1!

>Brilliant work, G.N. Rank!  (Yes, I know he's not responsible for Web
>Review's design, but...)

I particularly enjoyed the piquant melange of retro html3.2 and avant
xmlishness, enhanced with iframe and javascript-dependent advertising. The
experience was futher heightened by the mystery missing graphic  of the
Examples.

I suppose a rank novice could take some useful data from this column, but
it is certainly way over simplified.

>-crism

Gary

Gary Munch
http://members.aol.com/munchfonts/
"It's alive!" The TDC conference on type on-screen
<http://www.tdc.org/events/itsalive/>