Subject: Re: Bill Hill, "The Magic of Reading"
From: Hrant H Papazian <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 20 Mar 2001 08:29:46 -0800

"Christopher R. Maden" wrote:
> The text face is Berling Antiqua

Oh, I missed that - thanks.
It's kind of a confused old-fashioned design (like from when
type was transitioning from cheesiness back to traditionalism),
but I guess the main reason it was chosen was because it renders
well in CT. I wonder what "upgrades" (like hinting) -if any- were
done to it for the job.

> publishers don't get much choice of face

That's not good. It might be a good idea to prevent (or at least make
it very difficult) for readers to choose the font (hi, Gary :-), but
preventing publishers from doing it is a bad idea.

> I believe in giving folks enough rope to do what they want.

Yes. Publishers with inferior typography suffer of their own accord.

But maybe this is a period of establishment: it's hard enough to
get people to read on-screen, and the nature of CT narrows the
possibilities of font choice in a way that publishers may not
understand, making the results poor enough for people to give
up on the technology - maybe Hill simply wants to increase the
chances of adoption, and eventually choice will be available.

hhp